MEDIA STATEMENT: Monday, 16 March 2020
- The ASEAN Para Sports Federation (APSF) Board of Governors (BoG), the Federation’s highest decision-making authority, today convened its emergency meeting via video conference to deliberate on the status of the ASEAN Para Games Philippines 2020.
- The meeting was held to ascertain the status of the 10th ASEAN Para Games due to the worsening COVID-19 global pandemic which has now affected all its Southeast Asian member countries.
- National Paralympic Committee Presidents and alternates of Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam were present at the two-hour video conference from Manila which was chaired by NPC Philippines President, Michael Barredo. Myanmar and Brunei were not present.
- The APSF BoG agreed that the Games will now be moved from 21-27 March 2020 to 3-9 October 2020 with conditions that the Covid-19 pandemic is put under control and no longer a threat to human.
- The dates serve as the new target dates for the 10th edition of the Games to help the Philippines ASEAN Para Games Organising Committee (PHILAPGOC) with the necessary arrangement and preparation.
- The Board has agreed to convene another meeting at the end of July 2020 to assess on the Covid-19 situation before confirming and proceeding with the proposed new dates for the Games. This is to adhere to the regulation that the host notifies APSF at least 60 days before the commencement of the Games to allow time for the APSF Coordination Committee to inspect Games facilities and the host’s readiness.
- The global pandemic has forced the postponement and cancellation of many major sporting events and tournaments around the world throughout the coming months.
- APSF is adhering strictly to the guidelines and preventive measures stipulated by the World Health Organisation (WHO) and health authorities to help contain the pandemic in the respective ASEAN nations to protect the health, welfare and safety of all participating athletes, officials and contingents.
- The Board wishes to record its gratitude to PHILAPGOC, member-nations, athletes, officials, contingents and all related parties and agencies for their understanding and commitment to ensure the safety of athletes towards successful staging of the Games.
MAJOR GENERAL OSOTH BHAVILAI
Secretary, Board of Governors
ASEAN PARA SPORTS FEDERATION (APSF)
16th March, 2020
Further enquiries, please contact: