Sunday, 21 June 2020
APSF BOARD of GOVERNORS (BoG) OFFICIALLY ENDORSES CANCELLATION OF 2020 GAMES – MOVES FORWARD FOR 2021 VIETNAM GAMES
- The ASEAN Para Games Federation (APSF) has officially endorsed the cancellation of the 10th ASEAN Para Games Philippines 2020 and looks forward to the successful staging of the 11th ASEAN Para Games scheduled in Vietnam next year.
- APSF’s Board of Governors (BoG) convened an emergency video conference meeting on Friday (19 June 2020), chaired by Mr Michael Barredo, president of the NPC Philippines and attended by presidents from all 10 National Paralympic Committees. The Federation’s highest decision-making body endorsed the cancellation after securing an official letter confirming on the matter from the Philippines Sports Commission (PSC) dated 8th June 2020.
- The letter, signed by PSC Board Secretary IV Julia C Llanto, officially approved the cancellation of the 2020 Games “for the protection and safety of all local and international athletes and coaches as well as workforce, participants and guests of the said event from ASEAN region, and in support to the government’s effort to contain the spread of
- The Board extended its utmost gratitude to the government of the Philippines and local organising committee PHILAPGOC for all preparatory efforts towards the hosting of the 2020 Games which include the preparation of secretariat, funding, venues, logistics, manpower and other technical requirements.
- The focus for APSF now is to ensure early preparation and coordination to ensure the successful staging of the 11th ASEAN Para Games, scheduled to be hosted in Hanoi, Vietnam in December 2021.
- Vietnam will be hosting the Games for the second time after a lapse of 18 years. The country last hosted the second edition of the Games in 2003 where only 5 sports were contested.
- Board members unanimously extended their appreciation, thanking the government of the Philippines and PHILAPGOC for the commitment and efforts undertaken at all levels towards the organising of the 10th ASEAN Para Games.
- The biennial Games was last hosted by Malaysia in Kuala Lumpur in 2017.
- Moving forward and barring any unforeseen circumstances, the BoG is set to convene a preliminary meeting in December 2020 to deliberate and coordinate the organisation of the 2021 Games with Vietnam ASEAN Para Games Organising Committee and other stakeholders.
- APSF wishes to once again thank all the relevant parties involved in the preparation of the 10th ASEAN Para Games, including all NPCs, respective governments, sports authorities, stakeholders, and especially to all athletes, coaches and officials for their commitment and sincere understanding. We look forward to moving ahead hand in hand with all member countries, bouncing back stronger and further solidifying the region’s Paralympic movement as we gear ourselves with new challenges in Vietnam 2021.
MAJOR GENERAL OSOTH BHAVILAI
ASEAN PARA SPORTS FEDERATION (APSF)