SENIOR COLONEL DR WANDEE TOSUWAN
Secretary General of Asean Para Sports Federation (APSF)
PRE-CLOSING CEREMONY PRESS CONFERENCE
Main Press Centre , Morodok Techo Stadium
Thursday • 8 June 2023 • 5.00pm
Major General Osoth Bhavilai
President, ASEAN Para Sports Federation
His Excellency Yi Veasna
Deputy-Secretary General of CAMAPGOC
His Excellency Phos Sovann
Director General of General Department of Information and Broadcasting, and
Chairman of Broadcast and Media Committee of CAMAPGOC
Friends from the media,
Distinguished Guests, Ladies and Gentlemen.
1. Thank you. A very Good afternoon. We meet again here, this time, as we approach the end of the 12th ASEAN Para Games tomorrow.
2. I’m happy to see that all our media friends are enjoying your time here, despite the pressures of meeting daily deadlines. I believe, the wonderful facilities provided here at Main Press Centre and International Broadcast Centre here have greatly helped you in your daily task while in Cambodia.
3. I wish to sincerely thank H.E. Minister of Information, Khieu Kanharith for his great support, H.E. Phos Sovann, His Excellency Yi Veasna, and his team for continuously facilitating the needs of the media and broadcasters here over the last one week of the Games. It is no easy task especially this is the first time that the Cambodia is hosting the Games. But, you delivered well. Thank you Excellency.
4. As we prepare our goodbyes tomorrow night, I wish to thank the government of Cambodia, local organising committee CAMAPGOC, all the dedicated parties and individuals who have help made this a successful journey.
5. Especially, our deep appreciation to the media and broadcasters, more than 1000 media representatives here, who have helped make this, a great Games with unique legacies. Through your reports, the masses, readers and audience now understand more about the sports, the commitment and sacrifice of the disabled athletes to achieve excellence in life, through sports.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
6. Over the last one week, we have witnessed many inspiring action, new records and the competitive nature of our young athletes. The Games here provides them with great opportunities to prepare for the upcoming Asian Para Games in Hangzhou and next year’s Paralympic Games. And in 30 months’ time, the 13th ASEAN Para Games in KORAT will take place in January 2026.
7. Organising a multi sporting event such as this, require more attention as compared to other Games. For example, the process of classification of each athletes which needs to be done thoroughly, inclusion of many events in athletics and swimming. The issue of accessibility remain as the most important aspects in our preparation.
9. APSF and CAMAPGOC has been collaborating since August last year, although there are hiccups, we have managed to overcome all challenges in true spirit of ASEAN friendship. We have witnessed a wonderful opening ceremony and expect tomorrow ‘s closing to be even better.
10. APSF is happy to note that host Cambodia has succesfully delivered the Games and even surpassed our expectations in many organisational areas, despite hosting the Games for the first time. This include preparation of sports facilities and venues, Games Village, food, accommodation, transportation, media and broadcast facilities, human resource, para sports education, and accessibilities.
11. I believe, there are many good initiatives in the Games here which can be emulated or improved by future hosts, to continue elevating the status and standard of ASEAN Para Games.
12. The participation of more than 1,000 local and international media personnel and organisations here is proof of the great support towards the Games and development of Para sports and movement in this region. We value and treasure all your support and commitment.
12. Our hope is for Cambodia to build on the momentum and success of the 12th ASEAN Para Games towards the hosting of many more international multi-sport Para Games and championship in future.
13. Once again, on behalf of the APSF, thank you to the Cambodian government, CAMAPGOC especially to HE Vath Chamreoun and Yi Veasna, Ministry of Information in particular the Broadcast and Media Committee, other related Ministeries and agencis, volunteers and staff for all the initiatives and efforts which have been put in to deliver the Games.
Thank you once again. OR-KUN.
I’m glad to answer any questions if you have any.
Naser Wahab | APSF Media & Comm | Phnom Penh | 8 June 2023